Tuesday, May 14, 2013


 I always thought, when I grow up I want to be a pioneer woman. Well, I grew up and know that I'm NOT the stuff the pioneer women were made of! Instead, I would 'pretend' in re-enactments and study our local history. That lead to history on quilts, of course, costumes and the women of the frontier. How they lived, where and why. Not just the women, but the families, why did they travel and did they make it?
 (alert: this pic of me is After my hat got blown off, not the best picture I might add)
Were they happy? 
My favorite time period of history was the 1800's and turn of the century to about 1920's. I love walking into deserted barns, homes, land that was lived on and the old graveyards of the families. It's not morbid, it's...history!
Some of my favorite people are the re-enactors I've worked with Of course, these men are Confederates and were in different units in Missouri. We've had good times at their camp fires and petting the horses noses. Notice I said PETTING their noses....they'll Never get me on a horse again! As much as I admire their beauty and personalities, they wayyyyy up there to sit on. I know for a fact that they understand my fear of being in the saddle and take Full advantage of it.

Along with my love of history, I've was a member of our local historical society and was the manager/director of our Counties historic museum. It's a wonderful building. Originally an 'Alms' home for the poor and needy, built in 1915 and quite a building at the time. Indoor plumbing, electricity and all. All of the original woodwork, parlors and rooms are still there and displayed with artifacts of the 1800's time period into our museum.
So, that's a little bit of 'me' and my world.
I made most of my own costumes and hats. Another one of my passions. I've kept the most favorite and donated all of the rest to different theatre groups and rental organizations. I got tired of the hoops and trains! I love my Jammies and jeans!
In my book Guide to Hand Quilting that will be available,soon, I add little blurbs of history of quilts and quilting. Who knows, another book might be the making!

No comments:

Post a Comment