Thursday, June 11, 2015

Farewell Dear Friend

                                                        (picture captured from her blog)
Today I found out that a dear friend, Linda Brannock had died in May, 2015. It was such a shock that I'm not quite processing it yet.
We lost touch when we went down different paths about 2001 but I thought of her often and the good times we had and challenging each other. She with her folk art/primitive designs and sending them to me to hand quilt into designs that would make it Pop for her models for her publications. Who would have thought I would have done her hand quilting for all those years.
Star Quilt will be forever in my heart. Linda was a true artist and I had my favorites of her designs. She was also a mentor to me when I first started quilting for her as a team for Red Wagon Designs. I had never hand quilted Over applique, 3-5 thickness of homespun.
The first one she brought to me was an all over desing OVER her pieced and applique design. I asked if she was Crazy! ha. but, I did it and that was the start of our work/friendship relationship.
She was a wonderful, cheerful person who was a great hostess when I'd go to her home for home baked goodies that her husband made up for us, as well as a great cook.
She even named her beloved kitty "Star" and I marveled at her home. So well appointed with primitives and authentic antiques, I never wanted to leave.
I'm not privy to what happened, but I can sincerely say that she will certainly be missed not only in the quilting community, but by her friendships that she developed from all of her markets,shows and classes.
A few of my favorites and still have them were her Miss Jump and, of course, her stars and angels.
Linda, you're not on earth physically, but where you are I'm Sure you're still giving classes and coming up with wonderful pieces of art. I knew you, I love you and I will miss you even more.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Karen,

    I Google your name on a whim and found your blog. If you are well and able, please write me back. I've started showing my mother's quilts in trunk shows. I did not know mom's friends. Really, barely new Jan Patek. I see your name in the books and want you to know I give credit when I can for your quilting.
    Karmen Sunshine (Atlanta area)

    ReplyDelete